Friday, February 19, 2010

BASAGNA!

Wednesday night I asked Hayden what he wanted for dinner and he replied with "I don't know, I'm not real hungry", which was rather weird since this child usually can eat more than I can.  Landon pipes up and says "Oooh mama, ask me what I want".

OK, Landon what do you want?

Standing there rummaging through the pantry he says
Umm, I think my take.....BAZAGNA!

I don't have all the stuff to make lasagna tonight, how about tomorrow night?

Ok

So yesterday evening I made a pitstop to the grocery store and got all the ingredients I needed.  I decided to make an extra special lasagna by using fresh garlic, basil, tomatoes, etc.  I usually just make it from canned spaghetti sauce, which is just as good and way easier but I was feeling a little daring last night and decided to try something different.

I get home around 4:45 and get to cooking, chopping my garlic, onion, bell pepper, herbs, etc.  I finally get the lasagna in the oven an hour later.  Who knew it would take so long to make "extra special lasagna"?  It took a lot longer than I expected for it to cook through considering I doubled my recipe.  I bet I heard Landon say a dozen times..."Is my basagna done yet?"  I kept reassuring him that it was almost ready.

When we finally sat down for dinner it was nearly 7:30 so I knew he would be starving by then.  I got his plate ready and sat id down on the table in front of him and he looks at it and says "I don't want this, I want a peanut butter sammich."

My eyes began to twitch uncontrollably at this point. 

Eugene leans over to him and says "Do you remember what the rule is about dinner?"

The rule is that mama cooks one meal a night, not 3 or 4 different meals in order to please everyone's cravings, so you can either eat what's on the table do without, please don't judge me.  I know it's  a very hard rule to make a 3 year old understand but he's getting there.

So after what seemed like hours he finanlly finished most of his dinner and all was good at the Stancil house.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's our rule too!!!

Sarah said...

We have that rule too... unless I fix something I know will make James vomit at the table (yes, it's happened too many times to count). On those nights he has to at least try a few bites of it. I think it's the only way they learn to eat a varied diet. So no judging from this Mama! :)
God's blessings,
Sarah :D