Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hobby or Side Job?

Ok, so last spring I decided to try my hand at cake decorating.  I've always wanted to try this and love watching the Cake Challenges on Food Network.  It has always amazed me at what those people can do this cake.  So I finally got up the nerve and bought me a few piping bags and decorating tips and started practicing.  I finally got confident enough and made my first "decorated" cake for my sweet little Landon's 3rd birthday.  He requested a Lightning Mcqueen cake and this is what he got



Then at Landon's party my friend asked me "who made the cake?"  When I told her I did she then proceeds to say "Great!  Jacob wants a Spiderman cake for his birthday, will you make one?"  His birthday was in 3 weeks.  EEEK!

Ummm...ok?

I had NO idea what I was going to do, so I went to Hobby Lobby to see if they had a Spiderman cake pan, and they did so I immediately started practicing.  This one is the hardest of the ones I have made because of all those dang webs :)  This one is NOT the one that I made for the party, this is the first practice cake.  The first clue might have been that the piping at the bottom doesn't match.  I ran out of blue icing and had to finish with red




Then my eldest son puts in his birthday cake request 3 months in advance, which was great for me.  This is the request he made...

"Hey momma, I know what kind of birthday cake I want.  I want one that has my baseball jersey on it with my name on the back,"

"ok", I said

"and then could you put me at home plate using my orange and blue bat and me hitting the ball over the fence and the other team is running after the ball and they are trying to get me out"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa", I said.  I mean I had to put an end to it somewhere right, or else I would be trying to construct Yankee Stadium.

Since his birthday is during football season I talked him into a football jersey cake and I think he enjoyed it just as well




Ok, I just realized that I mispelled birthday and it's been 4 months ago.  Geez!

Ok, so let me know what you think.  Should I keep my day job or try my hand at making a little extra cash on the side?  I promise I'll learn how to spell between now and then :)

4 comments:

Haley said...

I love the cakes. And if I were you I would definitely try to make some cash on the side doing this. They are SO GOOD! And don't worry about the spelling, I have seen a LOT worse! I have you seen that website "cake wrecks?" I think its www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com and trust me, they have some MAJOR mishaps!

By the way, thanks for the info on Kids Mart in Cullman! I think I will definitely be making an appearance!

Rachel said...

Love the cakes!!! Wish I would've known you did this a couple of weeks ago!

Sarah said...

Anybody that can decorate cakes like that doesn't have to know how to spell!!! :) Hayden's cake order is s great example of how boys think their mama's can do ANYTHING! I love the post, cake and blog makeover. Keep up the good work! :D
God's blessings, Sarah

The Jones' said...

Ummm....Blayne will be needing that Spiderman cake in May...thanks in advance!! LOL :) These look awesome, you should so starting making extra money on the side.